Rhinoplasty Risks & Complications
Are you considering rhinoplasty or as it is more commonly known, a "nose job"? If you are, it is important to do your research not only in choosing a Board Certified Surgeon, but on the risks and possible complications that could result from this popular procedure. Nose surgery, whether performed for cosmetic or medical reasons, can provide patients with life-changing results. Aesthetisure was created to offer patients cosmetic surgery complications insurance in the event that the surgery does not go as planned.
What are your goals and expectations for your nose surgery? A good rule to remember is that beauty is subjective. Below is a list of considerations prior to surgery:
- Do not let anyone pressure you into having rhinoplasty, the decision needs to be yours alone.
- Computer imaging can be helpful, but it can also be misleading. There is no guarantee that your end result will match those created by a computer.
- It is not an instant fix. Final results may not appear for several weeks or months after the procedure.
- Rhinoplasty can permanently change your physical appearance, possibly in a way you didn't expect or that leaves you unhappy. Nose surgery can be revised, but it is important to remember that it is irreversible.
- Possible complications and negative outcomes of rhinoplasty include:
- Abnormal narrowing of the nostrils
- Irregularities in shape or appearance of the nose
- Impaired nasal airway resulting in difficulty with breathing
- Sinus obstruction
- Irregularities or bumps
- Drooping/elevation of the nasal tip
- Asymmetries of the nose
- Temporary or permanent discoloration or pigment changes of the nose and eyelids
- Visible scarring
To better understand the potential risks and complications associated with rhinoplasty surgery, please consult with a Board Certified surgeon.
Questions to ask your surgeon during the rhinoplasty consult
- Are you a board certified surgeon?
- How experienced are you in performing rhinoplasty?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to nose surgery?
- What is your policy on revisions?
- What is your revision rate on your own patients?
- What type of facility do you operate in and if not a hospital, what is your protocol in the case of unexpected surgical complications?
- What are the potential complications and risks in a procedure like mine?
- If I have any rhinoplasty complications, what is your policy? Do you cover expenses? Do you provide a cosmetic surgery complications insurance policy?
- May I see before and after photos of cases similar to mine?
- Do you feel that you can provide the outcome we discussed?
- When should I expect to see the final result of the procedure?
- When can I resume normal physical activity and exercise?
This procedure should be reserved only for skilled board certified surgeons who understand the nose fully in terms of function while trying to give the patient the best possible aesthetic outcome. Being educated about the entire procedure is highly important.
While every doctor and patient strive for the best outcome possible, the reality is complications can and do happen. Aesthetisure helps to mitigate risks associated with rhinoplasty surgery by providing patients with cosmetic surgery complications insurance. Aesthetisure is available to board certified surgeons and will provide you with peace of mind should you decide to undergo nose surgery. To learn more about cosmetic surgery complication insurance and Aesthetisure, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone (800) 362-1542.